Liverpool St Helens put the two early season defeats behind them with a convincing win at Widnes. Showing a good deal more know-how and determination they outscored their opponents by six tries to four.

Powered by an outstanding display from skipper Darren Wilson at scrum half, backed up by the experienced Matt Cunliffe at centre, they controlled the game for over seventy minutes, only succumbing to two late scores from Widnes, as is so often the case on these occasions.

The game got off to a frenzied start with a Widnes forward sent off for foul play after three minutes followed soon after by LSH full back Dan Filson carried off on a stretcher after injuring his left leg.

Thankfully the game settled down and Widnes took the lead after 16 minutes with an unconverted try. 5-0. LSH replied almost immediately with a decent backs move leading to Matt Cunliffe breaking through to score, converted by Jamie Morris. 5-7. Both sides saw plenty of the ball until just before the half hour mark when Wilson produced a solo run, mesmerising the Widnes defence, to score LSH’s second try, converted by Morris. 5-14. Now in the ascendancy, LSH pressured the Widnes line before Paddy Royle finished off a slick series of passes to score from close range, Morris again converting. 5-21. Then on the stroke of half time new winger Lee Holland completed an overlap on the left wing to score the bonus point try. 5-26.

Widnes came out with renewed determination in the second half and reduced the arrears with a try from close range, 12-26, but LSH were in no mood to let this one slip. Wilson produced another fine solo run to extend the lead, 12-31, followed in the 67th minute by an interception try from Matt Cunliffe, Morris landing his fourth conversion of the afternoon. 12-38.

Meanwhile behind the posts a stricken Dan Filson watched on from his stretcher whilst waiting for the ambulance. LSH would like to thank the two lads, Carl and Steve, from local Widnes Rugby League side West Bank for looking after him brilliantly during this time.

Subsequently Widnes ran in two more tries but by then LSH could begin to feel satisfied and just a bit relieved that their ADM Lancashire Premier League campaign was now under way.


15 Filson 14 McBride 13 Cunliffe M 12 Richardson 11. Zaki 10 Morris 9 Wilson (capt) 1 Gore 2 Bonati 3 Fryer 4 Royle

5 Donlevy 6 Houlton 7 Thompson 8 Webster. 16 Heywood 17 Burrows 18 Rawsthorne 19 Holland

John Williams